Tuesday, November 27, 2007

little Polish girl.

Today I went to Maddie's school for her Heritage Day Festival. Each child in her third grade class picked a country of their heritage to celebrate. Maddie chose Poland.

She made a little doll showing what a Polish peasant would wear as an immigrant from the early 1900s. Her doll is also wearing a babuska. (She even looks more Polish with her plaid school uniform pants underneath.) They also wrote a report after researching their country.


Natalie (Ireland), Maddie (Poland), Eliza (Poland, and who speaks Polish!) Margarita (Mexico)


We were treated to a few international songs and dances, and were even invited to come up and dance with them! Yes, I did it too.... it was fun!


We even had a little Thanksgiving. Each child also brought a dish that represents their country. We made Polish Tea Cakes, practically everyone asked me for the recipe. Also on the menu: Polish sausage, cabbage rolls, Irish soda bread, cheeses, German chocolate cake, potato pancakes, leek soup, shortbread cookies, pecan cookies, sauerbraten, homemade tortillas, pazzelles and many other good things I can't remember.

I'm so glad that Maddie invited me, I really enjoyed their performance and treats! This was a pretty cool project for the kids, even though it was a lot of work. I'm sure they learned more by tasting/singing/dancing and wearing their heritage, than by just reading about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my little polish girl...she really looks the part...love every bit of her...g

Anonymous said...

My Sisters have pictures of me looking just like that....And I wasn't trying to look Polish!!!...r